Microdermabrasion (also known as a power peel) is a mini procedure that involves the skin being exfoliated by microcrystals. The non-invasive skin-freshening technique uses mild abrasives to remove the top layer of dead skin cells. This process promotes the production of new cells in the basal (deepest) layer of the dermis, revealing a newer layer that will be smoother, finer and virtually blemish-free.
Who should have this treatment?
- The best candidates for microdermabrasion are individuals with acne prone and blotchy rough skin, small scars, wrinkles, large pores, whiteheads, sun damaged skin, uneven texture, stretch marks and would like to improve the condition of the skin. This procedure is not recommended for individuals with red scars, undiagnosed skin lesions, recent herpes outbreaks, warts, active acne, rosacea (red, inflamed patches on the cheeks, nose, forehead and around the mouth) and uncontrolled diabetes or autoimmune system disorders.
How does it work?
- Microdermabrasion uses fine inert microcrystals to help getting rid of the top layer of dull, aging skin, to reveal the newer and more vibrant skin that lies below. Once these dead and damaged skin cells are removed, your skin will immediately feel and look smoother, fresher, healthier and more youthful. The treatments usually last about 10 to 30 minutes. However, treatments or stretch marks can take as long as two hours.
Microdermabrasion is ideal for:
- People who cannot afford to take time off for healing from chemicals or lasers
- Active patients who don’t want to put off outdoor or social activities like tennis, golf or skating
- Skin that is sensitive to chemicals or make-up
- Acne-prone skin that has not responded well to acne remedies
- Younger patients with early skin change who wish for softer, smoother skin
Effects of Microdermabrasion treatment
- Improves whitehead and blackhead
- Improve acne scar and large pores
- Treat dull skin and maintain facial glow
- Lighten uneven skin tone
- Soften facial fine lines
- Stretch marks will be less obvious
What are the benefits of microdermabrasion over other procedures?
- Painless, discomfort is minimal
- Can be treated on face or body
- Fast recovery
- Normal activities can be resumed immediately. Treatment lasts 20 to 30 minutes, depends on the areas. In general, you will need about five to ten treatments at two-week intervals. Maintenance every one to three months is also suggested.